Blog | Introducing the new Shopit Admin Bar
14th February 2015
This month we launched something really amazing and huge in the latest release of the Shopit ecommerce platform — the new Admin Bar. We’ve been working on it for the past few months and we’re really excited by it’s potential.
It all stemmed from a Client project we were working on which made us realise how tedious it can be editing website content. Before the birth of the Admin Bar, if a Client wanted to edit a product that contained incorrect information they’d tend to follow a long-winded process.
- Find the product in the store front and locate the product code
- Go to the admin
- Search the inventory for the product code
- Click the product found
- Edit and save the information
- Go back to the store front and find the product
But with the new Admin Bar, it becomes much much simpler:
- Browse to the product in the store front
- Click edit on the Admin Bar
- Edit and save the information — which redirects you back to the page on the store front
Whilst we were developing the Admin Bar, we thought we’d go one step further. We often get emails from Clients asking us to change text in the header, footer or homepage banner – areas they could change themselves, but just didn’t realise. These areas are what we call snippets.
So we came up with the idea of highlighting snippets across the store front so they can be easily identified. A simple click on one redirects you to the edit snippet page in the Admin and on save redirects you back again.
And we also have created a new type of dynamic snippet, but that’s another blog post!